Posted by fractaloon on October 12th, 2014
In this episode I revisit the now classic game Onirim. I covered the game on my very first episode and look at it again now that a 2nd edition has been released. The new edition, not only looks MUCH nicer, but includes an extra 4 expansions (plus an appendix). Not only that, but I talk with the designer, Shadi Torbey about this and the other Oniverse games.
Posted by fractaloon on September 29th, 2014
Episode 65. In this show I talk about the game Hooyah: The Navy Seals Card Game. This is a light co-op game for 1-4 players in which you are trying to complete a covert mission, Ticket to Ride style. Hooyah is published by US Games. I also look at the upcoming Essen releases.
Posted by fractaloon on September 7th, 2014
This is the episode on global economics. I look at Global Mogul designed by Bill Crenshaw and published by Mayfair games. This is a worker placement/area control game in which players are making investments and producing goods to fulfill contracts. This game supports 1-4 players.
Posted by fractaloon on August 17th, 2014
This latest episode is on Print and Play games. I look at two things specifically, which includes a LOT of games....
1. The solitaire PnP design contest 2014 is currently in the print and play it phase. Twenty-eight games have been submitted and are contest ready! You can try them out now before the voting period begins which runs about a week and ends on Sept. 13. I give a quick run-down of the games.
2. I review Chad Metsdagh's Everything versus Everything. It's a game in which you have characters from various pop-culture moves, stories, etc fight each other. You control six characters while "the Director" controls another six. Who has the most powerful team?
Posted by fractaloon on August 3rd, 2014
This "week" I look at the game Duel in the Dark. This is a two player game with a solo variant build in. It is set in WWII Europe. British bombers are attacking your German cities and you need to defend them from the onslaught. In this weird game, victory points are gained when other side moves into your space.
I also cover a few other topics including a bit more look at solo RPGing and also GenCon solo friendly games.
Posted by fractaloon on July 19th, 2014
The system I used to drive the adventure was simple. Each time I felt I needed some outside push (the GM), I pulled 9 random Rory's Story Cubes from a bag and rolled them. I then picked three and used that to determine what might happen next.First up, some comments:
- I am having trouble finding what perspective and style to use. I’m worried it is a bit too much like a story because of how I wrote this.
- I wrote this out long-hand in a notebook.
- I have done some minor editing of my original writing to sound better.
- My character was a Martian whose preferred weapon is a battle axe.
- The adventure ended prematurely. I could have altered that, but decided to keep it as is.
Posted by fractaloon on July 16th, 2014
In this episode I very quickly look at using Rory's Story Cubes for solo RPG gaming. I also spend some time talking with A.J. Porfirio about Hostage Negotiator which is just now on Kickstarter.
Posted by fractaloon on June 21st, 2014
In this BIGGEST episode yet, I have a discussion on the 2014 solitaire PnP design contest with Chris Hansen & Todd Sanders. This was originally recorded as a Google Hangounts conversation and the video can be watched on YouTube.
Alas, I am no expert and I had audio issues. Hopefully they don't distract from your enjoyment too much. Contrary to the appearances, I am not chewing tabacco.
Posted by fractaloon on June 17th, 2014
This episode is on a cool deck building/area control game, Asgard's Chosen. This is a really neat hybrid that takes the best of both worlds and combines them into a fun game, albeit hard to learn, game. I also finally, way belatedly, announce the winners of the 1 Player Awards. However, if you follow the 1 Player Guild, and you should, this is all old news.
Posted by fractaloon on May 25th, 2014
In this latest episode, I look at the game of Nations, a card drafting, resource management, worker placement kind of game. I also get to talk to one of the designers, Rustan Håkansson, one of the designers of the game. Nations is a big game and this is a big episode to go along with it!